Monday, October 5, 2009

Photograph of Colorado


I took this photograph a few winters ago in Colorado. This image could be used as proof of nature's beauty. However, standing alone, this image argues that nature is beautiful.

The unaltered realness of this image helps construct the image's credibility. The partially melted snow at the tops of the mountains and on the roads and the recently skied-on surface of the snow shows that this image is a snapshot of reality, not an artificial representation of nature. Because this image was not staged nor planned out, the image authoritatively speaks about nature's beauty.

The colors present in this photograph of Colorado convince viewers of nature's beauty. Clear blue skies are often associated with beauty, and the color white is a universal symbol for purity and beauty. Because both of these traditionally beautiful colors predominate the image, the photograph persuades the audience that nature is beautiful.

The comparison of the elements of nature in the image with the man-made ski lift on the right side of the image also demonstrate the beauty of nature. The trees, the blue sky, and the snow on the ground are all natural components of nature that appear very real and appealing to the eye. In contrast, the man-made ski lift in the picture, made of metal and dark in color, does not have a sense of reality and beauty about it. This contrast shows that there is beauty in simplicity and in realness.

Through capturing a true, unaltered depiction of nature, in analyzing the predominant colors in the image, and in comparing nature with a man-made ski lift, the photograph of Colorado convinces the audience that nature is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Before I even step away from this post, I feel like these ideas are so far-fetched. They seem silly to me. I know I do not have enough proof for my claim because I only have three points, but I do not see anything else that could be used to further the argument I have identified. Maybe I will notice more if I take a look at the image again at a later date?

    ReplyDelete